Internship Information for Students
CJ 490, the internship course is offered during the fall, spring and full summer semesters. While enrolled in this course students can earn 3 – 6 college credit hours, and gain work experience while network with professionals in their field.
All Criminal Justice majors must complete an approved internship during his/her junior or senior year at an approved agency. The primary purpose of the internship is to enhance the students academic experience through a planned and supervised program of observation, study, and work in a selected criminal justice agency or related agencies.
The student is responsible for seeking out and securing an internship position with a criminal justice or closely related agency or organization. The procedure for making an arrangement with an agency or organization and the requirements are outlined in the Internship Handbook. Internship positions may be developed both within the State of Mississippi, out-of-state and abroad.
No student will be allowed to enroll for internship credit for working with his/her current job or in position(s) which he/she already holds or work for a relative or family member.
Looking for an Internship
We recommend that you connect with the Career Center and sign up on Handshake to receive information about jobs and internships that come available throughout the year. You may also apply to the sites that have already been approved by the department for Criminal Justice internships in the past.
Review a list of internship sites that were approved in previous semesters.
– Opportunities for Future Internship Students –
Come to the Part-time Job & Internship Fair on Wednesday, August 28, 2019, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at the Gertrude C. Ford Ballroom in The Inn at Ole Miss.
The Process of Locating an Internship and Enrolling in the Course
- Meet with the Criminal Justice Academic Advisor to discuss the internship program and eligibility. If you have questions about a prospective site or the course, reach out to your Internship Professor. (firstname.lastname@example.org or Make an appointment)
- Read the CJ 490 INTERNSHIP HANDBOOK carefully. Keep it for reference.
- Complete the Internship Application packet and return the completed packet no later than two (2) weeks in advance of the internship semester. Do not submit the application more than one semester/term before the internship. Online applications are preferred.
- Deadlines are:
- Summer intern: Two weeks prior to the beginning of full summer school.
- Fall intern: Two weeks prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
- Spring intern: Two weeks prior to the beginning of the spring semester.
- Using the Online Form, provide the Criminal Justice Internship Professor with the proposed internship agency name, field supervisor name, internship position duties and responsibilities and work schedule agreed to immediately upon acceptance by the agency. Student must have a confirmed internship assignment in an agency by no later than two (2) weeks prior to the first day of classes.
- The Criminal Justice Internship Professor will then review the requested internship.
- Internship agency requests that seem to have little or no relationship to the criminal justice system or that appear to offer a weak internship field experience will not be approved. The Criminal Justice Internship Professor will make the decision of whether or not to approve a requested internship location no later than the start of the semester of the internship.
ALL forms must be completed and submitted before you are enrolled in the class; you will be enrolled administratively; you cannot enroll yourself. Please be advised that by submitting this completed packet, you are giving permission to be registered for CJ 490. If you do not wish to be enrolled, you must make a written request to the Department Chair to have this application packet removed and officially drop CJ 490 from your schedule.
1) Please read the CJ 490 Internship Handbook: INTERNSHIP HANDBOOK May 2018
2) Determine your proposed internship site and reach out to them.
3) Submit these forms online
- Submit the online application: CJ 490 Online Application
You will attach the Internship Learning Agreement to the online application form. (Files type must be .doc, ,pdf, ,jpg or .png).