Department of Criminal Justice & Legal Studies Scholarships
We offer several generous scholarships for current students. The current application is closed.
Robert Langley Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Criteria: The recipient shall be a full time criminal justice/legal studies, demonstrate financial need, and have a minimum GPA of 2.25.
- Selection Process: Committee comprised of the Dean, LS Department Chair, and a CJ faculty.
Chief Richard Michael Popernik and Joan Grisham Popernik Legal Studies Scholarship Endowment
- Criteria: The recipient shall be a full time Junior or Senior Criminal Justice and Legal Studies major.
- Selection Process: Recipients shall be selected based on academic excellence, community involvement, integrity, and commitment to the program. Selection shall be made by a committee which consists of the Legal Studies department chair, a professor of criminal justice and Joan Popernik or her designee in consultation with the Dean of the School of Applied Sciences.
Columbus B. Hopper Scholarship Endowment
- Criteria: The recipient shall be a full time Criminal Justice/Legal Studies major, classified as a senior for the fall semester prior to applying. Minimum GPA of 3.75.
- Selection Process: Recipients will be selected by the department of Legal Studies faculty scholarship committee and approved by the Department Chair.
- Deadline: Application must be submitted by February 1.
Robert T. Warren Outstanding Criminal Justice Student Award Endowment
- Criteria: The recipient shall be a Criminal Justice/Legal Studies major.
- Selection Process: Recipient shall be selected based on academic excellence, integrity, and commitment to the program. Selections shall be made by a committee which consist of Criminal Justice faculty.
Scholarship Application Information
- Prior to April 15, submit a one-page essay of the reasons you are applying for the scholarship.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – Many scholarships require financial need. Complete and submit the FAFSA at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Selection and awarding of the scholarships will take place on or before May 1 of each year.
- All scholarship applications will be reviewed by a Scholarship Committee consisting of those specified in the scholarships’ selection process.
- All applicants will be judged on scholarly achievement, extracurricular activities, essay summary and financial need or the selection process specified by the specific scholarship.
- If selected to receive a scholarship, the recipient must write a thank you letter for the scholarship donor before the scholarship can go into effect. Instructions will be sent by email. Recipient must be enrolled for the fall semester, following application.