MCJ Application Requirements:
- Evidence of an awarded Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Quality of the applicant’s academic record, as evidenced by cumulative grade point average. At least a 3.0 or equivalent grade point average on the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework is required.
- Three (3) letters of professional recommendation, preferably from professors familiar with your academic qualifications or others familiar with your work ethic and ability to be successful in graduate school.
- Statement of Interest. A 400- to 500-word statement of interest that describes your interest in pursuing the Master of Criminal Justice degree, your chosen emphasis in 1) Policy & Practice (in-person), 2) Homeland Security & Emergency Management (fully online), or 3) Criminal Justice Leadership (fully online), your future career goals, and why you believe you will be successful in graduate school.
- Writing Sample. Submit a sample of your recent written work that best showcases your skills as a writer and critical thinker. Writing samples should be in English and no more than 10 double-spaced pages in length. There are no specific formatting requirements. This could be a term paper, professional report, policy brief, or any other document that demonstrates writing and analytic skills.
- International students must demonstrate compliance with the University of Mississippi’s English Language Proficiency Score Requirements and Exemptions policy.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
Please note that the Department of Criminal Justice & Legal Studies does NOT require the submission of GRE scores for the Master of Criminal Justice program.
Application for Funding Opportunities
Students interested in being considered for a funded graduate assistantship position must submit a completed application on or before the priority deadline:
- April 1st – Fall admission
- October 1st – Spring admission
Students seeking to be considered for the funding opportunities available through the Graduate School should contact the Graduate Program Coordinator for the program prior to submitting their application. For information on available financial aid opportunities, including Graduate Assistantships, please visit the Graduate School Financial Aid Information page.