Applications for admission to the graduate programs must be submitted to the University of Mississippi Graduate School through the online application process.
In order to be assured consideration, the following materials must be on file in the Graduate School prior to the deadline. Application deadlines are April 1 for Fall and October 1 for Spring.
In case these dates fall on a weekend or legal holiday, the deadlines are automatically extended to the next business day.
Applicants to the Master of Criminal Justice program must:
- Complete and submit the Graduate School’s on-line admission application.
- Have official transcripts showing a Bachelor’s degree was awarded should be mailed directly from the applicant’s previous school(s)/college(s) to the Graduate Admissions Office, Graduate School House, P.O. Box 1848, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677. Official transcripts must be mailed to the Graduate School, not the Department of Legal Studies, and may not be transmitted via the applicant.
- Have three (3) letters of professional recommendation who can attest to academic abilities, including success in a graduate program, should be submitted online or mailed to Kimberly Kaiser, Department of Legal Studies, Odom Hall 202, P.O. 1848, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677.
- Submit a statement of purpose online of why the applicants wishes to pursue a Master of Criminal Justice degree.
- Submit online a GRE score taken in past five (5) years or submit Professional Portfolio (if qualified) to Kimberly Kaiser, Department of Legal Studies, Odom Hall 202, P.O. 1848, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677.
The regulations for admission and information concerning tuition and fees, academic procedures, and degree requirements can be found in the University of Mississippi graduate catalog located online at http://catalog.olemiss.edu/graduate-school . The University regulations supersede those found in this handbook.
Questions concerning the admission process should be directed to the University of Mississippi Graduate School at (662)-915- or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Kimberly Kaiser, Legal Studies Graduate Program Coordinator at (662)-915-2517 or email@example.com.
Applicants who have served a minimum of four years in a full-time capacity in the fields of criminal justice, homeland security, public safety, and the U.S. military may qualify for the “professional track” and will not be required to submit GRE scores for admittance. In lieu of the GRE, the applicant must submit a Professional Portfolio that contains:
- A letter from the applicant’s supervisor or agency head acknowledging that the candidate is employed in good standing. It is requested that the applicant’s supervisor/agency head comment on the applicant’s aptitude/ability to successfully complete the Master of Criminal Justice program. The supervisor/agency head must indicate whether the applicant possesses the potential for professional development/promotion within the agency.
- A writing sample explaining why his/her professional experience will help enhance success in graduate school;
- Curriculum vitae or resume; and
- Any and all documentation of professional achievement to include (1) professional development training, (2) in-service training, (3) supervisory training, and (4) awards/citations.